With the growing use of computers for our day to day business and personal life work, we are getting used to of them and in case if something happens to your computer then you easily loses the data you’re having right away. This is a very annoying and bad problem associated with the digital form of data we are having with our computer and somehow it needs to be protected. To provide that layer of protection the one best way is to backup your computer data completely and keep it safe in another drive.
Now there are two ways by which you can keep the back. One is that you keep complete backup on a separate hard disk or second is to backup your computer data and keep it on the same device. Probably safest way is the first one since keeping backup on same computer is risky. Think of a moment that you lost access to complete hard disk or it crashed down then it will affect each and every partition over there. Thus your backup won’t help you in case.
I’m sharing here five steps you need to follow to get the job done. At the end of this guide you’ll have complete backup of your computer data on a separate hard disk. Yes, you probably need an external hard disk. You can also connect a secondary internal hard disk (if you’re aware of hardware connection in your desktop computer).
Steps to Backup Your Computer Data
- First thing to do is to check whether the external hard disk you’re having is working properly or not. Format it completely and keep it scanned with an antivirus. So that there is no infections within that can hurt the back. Also format it completely before start using it.
- Once you’re ready then start your computer and connect the external hard disk to your computer via the USB cable provided. Within few seconds or may be a minute, hardware drivers of that hard disk will be installed and it will be ready to use.
- Start Control Panel of your computer and move into System and Security section. Select File History from there.
- From left hand side, select ‘Advanced settings’ and once the screen is open then again click on ‘Select drive’ from left side section. Follow the screen instructions and select the drive you inserted just now.
- If backup option is turned off then make sure you turn it on during the process. You’ll see an option to do that.
So this is the automatic process but if you wish to backup data according to yourself then you need to manually copy files and folders from your computer and paste them all within the external hard disk. It’s as simple as that.
Last but not the least, even external hard disk can get damage so another best way to backup your computer data is to upload everything on to a cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive etc.
Do let me know if you find any trouble during the backup process. If you got any other concern or questions in mind then start discussion in the comment section. Also you can tell us how you backup your computer data!